K9AY/4-way & K9AY++ antenna switch controller manual
This manual page is for four versions of the controllers. One version is for K9AY++ antenna and the second for K9AY/4-way beverage system. Both versions have got classic and remote controller version.
K9AY/4-way antenna switch allows you to control:
- simply K9AY (could be only over coax)
- K9AY++ RF box (coax + ctrl cable)
- Bi-DIR beverage TWO directions (only over coax)
- Bi-DIR beverage FOUR directions with 4-way switch (only over coax)
- You can use some features for more RX antennas.
Front panel description
Rear panel description
Controller comparison & block diagrams
Controller to TRX connection
example 1 TRX with RX ANT input
example 2 TRX with RX ANT in and out
example 3 ALL TRX - universal configuration
Internal BPF and Preamp board
Front panel description
There are rotary switches, LED indicators and one small switch
1. Direction switch
- There are two possible ways how to build antenna
- Loops can be mounted in N-S-W-E or NW-SE-NE-SW orientation
2. Direction LED indication
- Direction LED indicators can work in N-S-W-E or NW-SE-NE-SW
- Please, have a look at jumpers settings
- middle LED shows manual/remote control for Remote version of the controller
3. Variable Rload in K9AY loop
- This knob allows you to change Load (terminate) resistance
- You have to have right jumpers settings and you are able to set maximal resistance and also resistance in the middle (5) of the knob
- Terminal resistance of the loops - from about 200 to 1200 Ohms
- Please, have a look at trimmers settings
4. Band Pass Filter
- Knob for BPF of Bypass selecting
- Preamplifier On/Off switch and LED indicator
6. TX LED
- PTT LED indicator
- Please, read more in this manual
- This LED indicates RX from your TX atenna
- This LED indicates RX from RX antenna port
9. Fast manual switch for RX antenna
- You can use this knob for fast switching between TX and RX antennas
- This is good feature for TRX without RX ANT input port
- Please, have a look at more in this manual - there is more way how to use/connect it
Middle LED shows manual or remote control status (in the case of remote control version)
Rear panel description
Rear panels are almost the same for manual and remote controller version. There are connectors and small switch between K9AY and 4-WAY antenna system.
1. RX ANT
- Input connector for the RX ANTENNA
- There is Bias Tee, RF and HV protections and diode RF limiter
2. ANT TX/RX
- RF port for TX antenna
- There is more ways how to connect controller to TRX
- This port can be used for TX antenna and you can use from panel switch for fast selecting of the RX source
- TRX or RX port
- Depends on your connection
4. K9AY/4-WAY switch
- This controller allows to control K9AY and 4-WAY Bi-dir beverage system
- There are different matrix tables for direction switching - one for K9AY (DC voltage over the ACC connectors and AC/DC voltage over the coax cable) and 4-WAY system (AC/DC voltage over the coax for 4 directions)
5. GND screw
- It si highly recommended to connect controller to the common ground in the hamshack
- There are high voltage protections in the controller which needs ground to discharge any potential high voltage
6. PTT RCA
- PTT signal controls RX source switch
- This depends on your configuration but if you use controller also in TX RF line, you have to connect PTT from TRX (keyed)
- PTT signal connects TRX to TX/RX ANT port when you are transmitting
- PTT works in the sniffer mode
7. Connectors to RF switch
- There are two connectors - DB15F and RJ-45
- It is almost the same, please have a look at the connector description
- Both ports have got high voltage protections and basic RFI filters
8. Power supply input jack
- Power supply input jack 5.5x2.1 mm
- You can use +12 to +15V DC in the case of K9AY++ antenna system
- Controller for 4-WAY beverage system needs AC power supply
- The directional switching is made by + DC, - DC, AC and 0V
- There is high quality common-mode filter to eliminate any RFI and AC noise from power supply
9. Remote Control connector
- Only in Remote version of the controllers
- Please, have a look at the connector description in this manual
Controller comparison & block diagrams
The difference between K9AY++ controller and K9AY/4-WAY is in the internal BPF and PREAMP board:
- K9AY++ system has got BPF and preamp in the feeder box
- K9AY/4-way controller has got it directly in the controller
You can use K9AY++ controller also for 4-way beverage system but in this case the BPF and preamp work only with K9AY++.
Beverage system can not use it. In the case of K9AY/4-way controller you can use simply K9AY feeder and Bi-dir beverages where there BPF and preamp work for both antennas.
Block diagrams of the all controller versions
There are four block diagrams. The first two pictures are description of K9AY/4-WAY controller with Internal BPF and Preamp board. Another two pictures are for K9AY++ controller. Second and fourth pictures have got added Remote Connector.
Block diagram for K9AY/4-WAY controller with Internal board
Block diagram for K9AY/4-WAY controller (remote version) with Internal board
Block diagram for K9AY++ (4-WAY) controller without Internal board
Block diagram for K9AY++ (4-WAY) controller (remote version) without Internal board
Rear output connectors board
- DC (AC/DC) connector with common-mode current filter, PTC resettable fuse protection and DC filtering
- PTT IN and OUT RCA connectors work in sniffer mode. It is compatible with > + 5V in open state of the PTT. PTT detects LOW for TX. There is also PTT OUT FET option in the controllers 3/2022 and newer.
- Output connectors (RJ45 and DB-15M) are almost the same. Outputs to external boxes - like K9AY++ feeder. Please, have a look at connectors descriptions in this manual. There are also high voltage protections and RFI filters.
Front panel board
- There are two different versions of the front panels. One for the classic version and the second for remote controlled one
- There is also a couple of the jumpers - please, have a look at the jumpers descriptions
- You can change LED direction orientation, 4-way beverage orientation, use AC voltage over the coax for K9AY simply antenna etc.
- Rload controller for terminal resistance of the loops - from about 200 to 1200 Ohms. Please, have a look at trimmers setting
- Switch for Band Pass Filters
- RX source switch - allows you to select antenna for your RX (TX or RX antenna). This is good feature for TRX without RX ANT input port. Please, have a look at more info in the manual - there is more way how to use/connect it.
Rear RF switch board
- There is more way how to connect controller to your TRX - please check that part of the manual
- This board allows you to use this controller also in TX way.
- RX ANT port has got HPF (100 kHz) and high voltage and current protections. Including diode RF limit. In the case of TX you have to use PTT signal from your TRX (keyer).
- There is built-in Bias Tee for AC/DC voltage. RF single goes to 100 kHz HPF to eliminate AC noise
- There are two SMA connectors for internal BPF/preamp board. This board is there in the case of K9AY/4-WAY controller. K9AY++ controller does not have this internal board
- Controller with Remote Control has got one more DB15 male connector. Please, have a look at connector description in this manual
Controller to TRX connection
There are three possible ways how to connect controller to your TRX. Please, have a look at next examples.
⚠ When the controller is OFF (no power supply voltage) then signal from TRX goes to TX/RX ANT port directly.
RX SOURCE - fast switching for RX source between TX and RX inputs
Example 1 - TRX with RX ANT input
- Does your TRX have RX ANT input? If yes, you can connect controller there. Then you do not need to connect PTT.
- Switching between TX and RX antennas for your receiver is done on your TRX by special button for RX ANT (check manual of your TRX)
Example 2 - TRX with RX ANT in and out
- This example is only for TRX with RX ANT out and in connectors - like Icom IC-775, IC-7800, Yeas FT-1000 etc.
- Then you can use RX SOURCE switch on controller and do switching between RX and TX antenna. But you do not connect PTT to controller.
TRX example with RX ANT IN and OUT - there for IC-775 point 2
Example 3 - ALL TRX - universal configuration
- This is configuration for any TRX. In this example the controller works as RX ANT input for your TRX.
- You have to connect PTT from TRX to controller. When you transmitting, controller switches relay and TX signal from your TRX goes to TX/RX RF connector at the controller.
- While receiving, you can simply and fast switch between RX and TX antenna by the RX SOURCE knob. You can connect PA PTT from PTT out at the controller. If you use any kind of keyed or sequence, please, check its manual for more information.
There the RED lines show TX signal way. Controller is able to handle up to 400 W. But low power level is recommended. If you use PA, please connect controller between TRX and PA. You can use controller from DC to 6m - when it is powered off from power supply or you can switch RX SOURCE knob to TX/RX on bands where you do not use RX antenna. Then controller works as simply bypass whit minimal insertion loss.
There are two ACC connectors:
- RJ45 and DB15F
- The first 8 wires are the same
All signals there are DC voltage. Control pins have got voltage protection and basic RFI filter.
BPF pins - positive DC voltage switching Band Pass Filters
PREAMP - positive voltage switching ON preamplifier and bypass relays
Rload VAR voltage - DC voltage from front panel RLOAD switch. This voltage changes Rload (terminator) resistance in K9AY loop (or another your antenna)
DIR relays - DC voltage which controls directional relays in K9AY feeder box
PTT IN - the same as PTT IN RCA connector
EXT relay - DC voltage out. Follows rear small switch (K9AY/4-WAY) - you can use it to control external RF relay switching coax cable from controller to K9AY antenna and 4-way Bi-dir beverage system. Please, have a look at example in this manual
BPF BYPASS - DC voltage out when BAND switch on from panel is to Bypass (No filter selected)
Controller with Remote option has got Remote Control DB-15M connector at rear panel of the enclosure.
How it works:
- When you apply +12V DC to any DIR pin, controller switches itself to remote control and front panel switches are disabled. Only all LED diodes work.
- All input DC voltage from this connector go directly to rest boards. For example Preamp voltage at this connector directly supply preamplifier. Goes via the voltage protection and RFI filter.
DIR - use one of this four pin to control direction
AC/DC - voltage at input Jack from power supply
K9AY/4-WAY - switching matrix tables between K9AY and 4-way beverage system. There is also output voltage for the 4-way position at ACC DB-15F connector. This is for optional RF relay. See picture in this manual.
BPF - voltage there switches ON BPF. If there is no voltage at any BPF pin, than Bypass is selected - wideband.
PREAMP - switching ON preamplifier. This voltage goes directly to Preamp
RX/TX WAY SWITCH - no voltage = TRX to TX/RX antenna port, +12V changes to RX from RX ANT port
+12V - this is voltage which you can use for switching all there features. Even if the controller is supplied by AC voltage. Have a look at the next picture.
This manual describes two controllers. All three main boards are the same. The only difference is in Band Pass Filters and Preamplifier. K9AY++ system has got this parts inside the Feeder box - there is no BPF and Preamp in the controller. Controller for 4-WAY beverage system has got it as internal board inside.
You can use K9AY++ controller also for 4-way beverage system but in this case the BPF and preamp work only with K9AY++. Beverage system can not use it. In the case of K9AY/4-way controller you can use simply K9AY feeder and Bi-dir beverages where there BPF and preamp work for both antennas. Please, have a look at the Block Diagrams and photos.
Example for K9AY/4-WAY controller with internal BPF and Preamp board
- You can use it for simply K9AY (also K9AY++ there with 2x BPF and 2x Preamp) and 4-WAY bi-directional beverage system. You have to use 12V AC power supply. Controller then can use own matrix tables for K9AY and 4-WAY and sending +12V, -12V and AC over the coax - have a look at the jumpers settings
- You can use external RF relay to switch coax cables between K9AY and 4-WAY. This relay is controlled by the small switch at the rear panel of controller. This switch also selecting right switching matrix table.
- Have a look at the connector pin description
Example for K9AY++ antenna system
- There are two boxes: controller and RF feeder
- Connection between controller and feeder is by 8 wires
- You can use copper version of CAT-5 (6) LAN cable (FTP is recommended)
- This controller does not have BPF and Preamplifier inside - these parts are in the K9AY++ feeder box. Have a look at the block diagrams.
- There are optional CMCC at the picture. You can use it to be sure to avoid problems with the common-mode currents and noise.
There are some jumpers and one trimmer which allow you to set a few things. Please, have a look at the right front panel version and notes for each jumper and trimmer.
1. Rload max. value
- You can set maximal Rload (K9AY loop terminator) resistance
- This maximal value is at 9 point (switch R-LOAD at the front panel)
2. LED indicator
- You can set LED indicator orientation
- This depends on your antenna system location
- You can use N-S-W-E or NW-SE-NE-SW. Please, have a look at picture below
3. K9AY simply coax CTRL
- These jumpers are there for simply K9AY feeder which has got direction control by the voltages over the coax
- You have to use 12V AC power supply for controller
- Be careful - when you short this jumpers - there will be voltage on RX ANT connector
- Have a look at the matrix table for simply K9AY (one of the pictures below)
4. 4-WAY directions
- These jumpers set matrix table for 4-way Bi-directional beverage system
- Please, have a look at four examples of your antenna locations and coax connections
- You can short jumpers which you need. There must be 12V AC power supply for the controller and there will be voltage at RX ANT connector
K9AY matrix table
This is matrix table for the simply K9AY feeder. Controller is needed by 12V AC power supply. There are diodes making necessary voltages for K9AY feeder.
4-WAY antenna system matrix tables
There are two matrix tables for classic and remote controller versions. Each table has 4 different configurations - each configuration is one kind of your antenna location.
Please, have a look at all configurations at the pictures below.
Internal BPF and Preamp board
This is internal BPF and Preamp board. This board is part of the K9AY/4-WAY controller.
- There is input SMA at the right side of the board. Signal goes to 100 kHz High Pass Filter (eliminate AC noise) then to Bypass or Band Pass Filters (160m, 80m and 40m)
- Band pass Filters include also notch filters - better attenuation on next bands
- You can switch On preamplifier. Two blue trimmers are part of the preamp - one allows to set transistor BIAS current and second one works as variable attenuator. You can set total gain of the preamplifier from 0 to 18 dB
1. Gain - variable ATT
- Blue trimmer which works as variable attenuator
- You can set maximal gain of the preamplifier. Attenuation works also as wide-band load for preamp
- Preamplifier gain is pre-set to about 10 dB (from maximal of 18 dB)
2. Preamp BIAS current
- You can change and measure transistor bias curret
- Connect power supply to controller
- Remove Jumper JP1 and connect mA-meter there (scale 200 mA)
- Turn the blue trimmer (current) and measure the current
- Bias current can be from 10 mA to about 70 mA
- Please, do not use higher current. Transistor is 1 W, when you use 13.8 V and 70 mA it is almost 0.97 W!
- If you like to have low Noise Figure, set current under 25 mA - NF will be around 1. Higher current mean NF under 2.
continue to manual for K9AY++ feeder